Respond to pollev.com/bholland poll (instant response system)
The 21st Century Classroom & C-R-C-D
Why/What are 21st century skills?
How do they apply to the elementary classroom?
What is the advantage to using technology?
Can paper....speak, search, auto-correct, manipulate, contain video, self-publish...???
- Fully Accessible
- Anywhere/ Any time
- Mistake Tolerant
The CRCD Framework from Leonardo's Laptopby Ben Schneiderman
- Collect: students research information
- Relate: collaborate to solve problems
- Create: construct content and demonstrate understanding
- Donate: contribute to a community
Easter Egg Hunt - technology tips & tricks
- Tabs & Windows
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Speak Text
- Mac - System Preferences>Speech>Text to Speech
- Choose your keyboard shortcut to have any text read to you
- Windows - Control Panel>Speech> Text to Speech
Phase 1 - Collect
The Google Presentation below contains details about all of these topics.
What is the web and how do we use it?
- Defining Web Site
- Using, modeling, and teaching search techniques
- Alternatives to Google
- Complete the Search Challenge in the Google Presentation
- Great sites for teachers & students
- Complete the Collecting Resources Challenge in the Google Presentation
Phase 2 - Relate
Digital Citizenship - Copyright & Creative Commons
- Copyright, Citations, and related plagiarism issues
- The Copyright Act of 1976 and “Fair Use”
- Modeling good Digital Citizenship
- How to license and search for Creative Commons content
- Google Advanced Image search: Usage Rights
- Digital Citizenship Resources:
Public vs. Private, Parents, and Acceptable Use
- Best practices for protecting student privacy
- Alternatives to direct publishing
- Opening up students to the world
- School culture and Acceptable Use Policies
Blogging and Educational Blogging
- What is a blog?
- Why blog?
- Which blog?
- Complete the Blogging Challenges in the Google Presentation below
Google Docs for Creating the Collaborative Classroom
- What are Google Docs?
- Why Google Docs?
- Hands-On Synchronous Activity
Group 1 | Group 2 | Group 3 | Group 4
- Complete the Google Docs Challenges in the Presentation below
Phase 3 - Create
I want my students to....
- Record Audio with Vocaroo and Voki
- Digital storytelling - Fotobabble and Animoto
- Demonstrate their understanding through screencasts with EduCreations
- Text storytelling - StoryBird, StoryJumper, Little Bird Tales, ScribblePress (iPad app)
- Travel on virtual field trips with Google Earth and Solar Walk
- Photo/Video Sharing
- Vimeo vs. YouTube (View Pure)
- Snapfish, Shutterfly, Flickr
- Collaborate, work independently, and learn through Smart Centers
- QR Codes
Phase 4 - Donate
End of Workshop Survey
Please complete this surveybefore you leave!
Grad Credit Assignment
Please download this Word file. You will need to do the readings, respond to the discussion questions, and complete the project. Please email this document back to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 17th.